Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Tree is my Teacher

I started blogging as a way to insure that my now adult children will always know some of the most important lessons I have learned in my lifetime. I hope that you also find my life lessons helpful.

It was a dark and dreary time in my life. I began to read a book of spiritual exercises. I cannot even remember the name of the book now, but it was important to me at the time. One of the suggestions was to go outside and draw a tree. I almost laughed. I cannot draw at all!! But I was determined-- and went outside and sketched a picture of a little crepe myrtle out in the back yard. The next assignment was go back in one month,and re-draw the tree on top of my original drawing -- in a different color highlighter. And then again, to re-draw the tree on top of the original drawing, in a different color each month. I was faithful to my little drawing for several months and then forgot about it. I found it again a year or so later, and redrew my little tree in still another color. I was amazed! The little tree had grown new branches, and flowered, and gotten much taller. The spiritual lesson to be learned was that everything changes in time. When we feel "stuck" or feel we are living a nightmare, we can rest assured that things will change, though at times the change seems ever so slow. Today when I look out at that same tree, I am reminded that life is ever moving, ever changing. If you are feeling stuck today, go draw a tree!

2 comments:

  1. The last few days I have really been reminded of all the discussions you (Joan) and I have had over the years about goals, life changes and surviving hardships. I'm looking at a wonderful 10 year anniversary of an end to a terrible time in my life. I'm so thankful that through God's Grace, your support and prayers I survived and can now enjoy this anniversay. Your Tree story was another wonderful reminder of how troubled times pass and what a strong supporter you have been for me for many years. Thank you once again FRIEND.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! I had a similar experience while working a flower garden this summer...the therapy of watching something grow, struggle, revive, and grow...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and/or add your thoughts and ideas.