Saturday, May 23, 2009

Believe in Yourself


Our granddaughter was playing with her new birthday doll -- and I was sitting on the floor in her room, just watching, chatting, "being" whatever character she needed!

She asked, "Joan-Joan, do you want me to fix your hair in a ponytail?"
I said, "Oh, I think my hair is much too short for a ponytail!"
She replied, "Joan-Joan, if you want to try to something new, you have to believe in yourself!"

I was shocked - and of course, very pleased with her remark. It is a strong statement for a 7 year old! A very true statement, but very unusual for a little girl, I thought. Later, I asked her mom about it - "do you think she learned that from one of us, or is that school training?" We agreed that no matter where she learned that statement, or whether she understands it, we are delighted that she knows and believes those important words.

Besides grinning every time I think about this little event, I think there are some important lessons in it --
1. You never know what your child is hearing you say -- so be careful with those words!
2. Children understand much more than we think they do.
3. It's never too early to teach positive thought.

PS -- Yep! I ended up with a little 1" ponytail and butterfly baretts! I have never looked any more beautiful than I did at that moment, for sure! It sure felt pretty!



FREE Imaging/Goalsetting/Treasure Map Workbook!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! Children do listen. They are absorbing all of the time. ...I knew as soon as she said that that you'd have yourself a ponytail. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what she said--very profound words--thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and/or add your thoughts and ideas.